Try this fresh and sweet butter on your bread or toast in the morning to keep the taste of summer around. It’s delicious and really worth the time it takes to make.
3 lbs strawberries
3/4 cup honey
1 tsp lemon juice, bottled
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Purée the strawberries in a fruit processor until smooth.
2. Combine the purée, sugar, honey, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt in a deep pot over medium heat.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Then lower the heat and simmer until the mixture gets very thick. Usually around 60-90 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. The strawberry honey butter is finished when it holds shape on a spoon.
5. Ladle hot butter into a hot canning jar, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles.
6. Apply lid and place jar in boiling water canner.
7. Once the water is boiling, process the jars for ten minutes. Turn of the heat and remove canner lid and let jars stand in the water for five minutes.
8. Remove the jars and let them cool for 12-24 hours. When done, the jar seal should not flex when the centre is pressed.
It might sound like a lot of work, but if you’ve ever canned before you’ll know what you’re getting into. Even better, if you know of a friend that cans, then it’s time to call in a favour lol.